Wednesday 1 October 2014

Well, progress albeit slow...here are some more pics with the bolts in temporarily and the perspex.  Now to decide if I put the dome nuts inside as first thought or outside.  Any thoughts anyone?  I think the hex head bolts on the outside would look cleaner.





This last picture shows the perspex bedded into the inner frame and the outer is bolted on simply to hold the perspex in place whilst the Sikaflex goes off.  I will remove the outer frame and then bed this in separately and putting the bolts in one final time.  The bolts will be finger tight until the Sikaflex cures then tightened up.  Hoping this gives me a strong water tight seal and also look good.  Then it will be on with the Starboard side.

4 comments:

  1. Heads on the outside too... have you considered butyl tape rather than sika??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, agreed, heads on outside. No I have to admit I had not considered butyl tape. Used Sika a lot in past and always been happy with the results. Butyl tape might be a good idea for fitting the outer frame where the perspex is already bedded flush with the fibreglass port openings and against the inner frame. Should already be water tight but maybe a butyl tape on the outer frame would give the final seal. My bolts might struggle in places as the fibreglass varies in thickness so getting the nuts on is difficult in places but I might just get some longer bolts for these areas. I will check online for the butyl tape but do you know anywhere to get it? Thanks, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got mine from eBay following a recommendation on the PBO forum.. jut search "butyl tape"... I like it because it's not messy, and goes where you put it... this was an interesting read.. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article Steve, thanks. So was the butyl you bought on eBay good stuff? The guy seemed to suggest that the newer stuff was not so good. Anyway, I think I will take a look and get some if not for the windows for all my hardware etc that I need to re-install. cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete